About one year ago I made plans of what I'd like to see this year (11-12). And almost all I did see! Here's a list:
*** During Autumn - Winter: ***
* Blood Wedding / Scheherazade -> yes
* Cinderella (world premiere from Kohler) -> yes
* The Nutcracker (twice in one day, though it wasn't my plan) -> yes
*** During Winter - Spring: ***
* The 90th Anniversary Gala of the Ballet Company -> yes!
* Don Quijote -> nope :(
* Coppélia -> nope :(
* La Bayadere (Minna Tervamäki's farewell performance) -> yes!
*** Shows yet to come this season: ***
* The ballet school's spring recital
* Helsinki International Ballet Competition
* The (free) performance of ballet company at the Senate Square in Helsinki (25.5.2012)
* The summer tour of the ballet company, in different cities/towns
* Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo (in Kuopio)
But what would I like to see next year? I like making lists, so here's one more.
* Romeo and Juliet - I did see this production in 30.4.2011 and liked it a lot. It depends a bit on who're doing the leading roles. (I'm guessing Baranova and Krcmar will do it, as they are the young ones. But who else?)
* The Boston Ballet's guest performances - as I've admitted already before, contemporary ballet isn't my (biggest) thing. But I'll probably never again have the opportunity to see this company, so it's a must anyway.
* Le Corsaire - never seen this before (live) and it's a classic -> to the must-see-list.
* Manon - never seen this one either, so... -> to The List.
* Dance Battle - a new coreography by Minna Tervamäki (premieres this Spring -12). Would probably be interesting.
* The Snow Queen - they've put Nutcracker on hold for some years and there's this brand new work coming from Mr. Greve himself. Snow Queen is based on a fairytale by H.C.Andersen and has references to Finland! It doesn't have the "traditional" music of Jukka Linkola (from the movie), but Tuomas Kantelinen has composed new stuff. I liked Greve's Scheherazade and the small piece he'd made for last summer's tour. So this goes -> to The List.
* Bella Figura - "a triple bill featuring works by three world-famous choreographers." They are Kylián, Balanchine and Wheeldon. Contemporary, but probably very interesting.
|The promo pic for Corsaire! :D (photo from ooppera.fi)|
There's going to be other ballets too, but we have to wait for the information. Blah... I want to know already! :D Have to start saving for all the tickets. Or buy opera binoculars and the cheapest tickets.