Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Ballet Week - Friday Memory

Today could be the end of my Ballet Week -
but no! Haha!
I've decided to continue all the way, Sat & Sun too.
Some fairly recent thoughts/memories today, 
but hey, yesterday's thoughts and happenings are memories today, right?
The Ballet Week is an idea I got from Hannah's Blog.


In August 2010 I enrolled to adult ballet classes, twice a week. Wednesday evenings (60 min.) and Saturday mornings (75 + optional pointe 15 min.). First class felt like coming home. Although I never was GOOD at ballet in my childhood/teen days, I still knew the moves. My first teacher had made excellent job in that area! (I'm very much certain she did all she could in the "other" area = my ballerina skills, but a teacher can't do it For the pupils. They can only give advice and help, but the actual work is the kid's duty.) Funniest thing about this adult class of mine was the following: 2 of my old ballet friends' moms were taking it, too! But it was nice, nothing else.

I had very little memories of what I actually Knew, the movements I mean. But as we did routines by the barre and in the center, everything seemed familiar. So I must have done them before. It was such a delightful feeling, to be able to move like that again. And let me tell you the (maybe) biggest reason why. 
Photo from weheartit.com
As I quit ballet and eventually all dancing, went to study, I quit moving (other than the necessary school journeys and stuff like that). And as I was responsible for my eating, it wasn't as healthy nor as regular as it was at home. I did eat at school during weekdays, but otherwise it was a bit too free. I didn't gain weight suddenly, no. But it lured it's way in me sloooowly. That sneaky thing... It didn't make me happy, as I realized it. One year after my graduation I went to substitute in a music school way up North. It was a very pleasant year, loved it. Colleagues, my pupils, the small town. My home was 2 km's from the center/work/stores and I had only my feet to move with, so there was plenty of daily exercise (also I would leave many times in a hurry, so had to walk Really Fast). Aaaand my house didn't have an elevator, only stairs = goooood thing. I lived in 4th floor. During that year I lost quite a lot of kg's without doing anything special to make it happen. When I moved back to Helsinki - back came most of the kg's. 

Two and a half years went by, my ankle broke, 5 months after that I moved back to my Hometown. And decided to start glowing (Johanna says ballerinas don't sweat, they glow). As I began to move in a way that truly made my mind, my body and my heart happy, also my appearance has been happier. You probably know what I mean. *insert wink here* I don't like basic kind of aerobics, it's not challenging enough (the routines). And I want the moving to be beautiful. Strech all the way to the tip of the fingers. And I'm aching after every class, I know I've been moving in a way that molds me. And it is all good.

My Favorite Degas <3 We had this in our dance studio's wall for years! (Photo from weheartit.com)

After three quarters of the year, I wanted to try pointe again. Bought the Boys (I'll introduce Sergei and Pjotr some time later), some paddings and faced the music. In the beginning I had to work A Lot with the ankles. And knees. And stomack. And everything. Harder than with the softies. But it was worth it. In May (this year) my ankle had som surgery and I had to give up the pointe stuff for the summer. But as August came again, I took the Boys (and every other class the other pair) out again. My courage with them has increased and I'm doing routines in the center too! In Spring it wasn't an option for me. 
Pointe work has felt easier now than it was before (I mean as I was younger). Actually  - almost everything is easier. I know much more and am able to observe my body more accurately, have the courage to ask if I'm not sure about something... And then there's internet. A HUGE storage of information available to all of us. It makes conversations (and blogging) and meeting new ballet-geeks easier/possible. I can educate myself in the ballet field so much easier than it was in the 80-90's. Also the fact that I live on my own now - I can go and see a ballet in the Opera house if I want to. My musical education makes it possible to listen more carefully and differently even the rehearsing musics we have. The list of endless possibilities and positive changes would be, well, Endless.

Like my Boys :) (Photo from weheartit.com)

Last year (the first of my Second Ballet Era) was about getting back in touch with the art itself and the routines. This year I have things listed I want to learn/improve. 
  • Pirouettes. Really. Today I managed some clean singles, so when it's May again, I'm aiming for doubles. I want to. And they are close. Have to learn to handle the speed and remember the basics, because it's all about them. Even in the multiples. 
  • Splits. On a good day it's possible with left leg in front, almost with the right. With both legs on the side - nope. But as I said before, they are easier now. And getting better. 
  • Balancing. This is connected to the first thing on my list. But also for example in center adagios.
  • Strength. Want more. 
  • Height for my developpés. Slooooowly.... But it is possible. Connected to the previous.
  • More "air" to my jumps. 
  • ...


I could add things forever, but the first one is the biggest thing for me at the moment. It's something I like and want to do better. The others aren't technique - I mean, they are basics everyone has to do and improve. But they're not a certain movement (okay, splits are but we don't do them that often in routines). Pirouettes are. You do them differently, in many ways, but still there's the basic twirl I have to make stronger.

That's where I'm headed. (Photo from weheartit.com)


But now, my plans for the weekend. Tomorrow morning ballet, Cinderella in the afternoon (FNB). Sunday has lots of knitting happening at my place. For the blog? Weeeeeelllll....... Photos and some music.

p.s. Today I got an old vhs-cassette from a ballet "colleague". It's the Spring show of our dance school in 19th of May, 1992. Watched it straight away when came home. I'm 11,5 years old in it. Oh the nostalgia!

(This beautiful photo was also found from weheartit.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment